Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Journey to Civilization: The Science of How We Got Here By. Roger P. Briggs

Journey to Civilization: The Science of How We Got Here was written by a science teacher of 30 years, Roger P. Briggs.  In this book Briggs sets out to tell the story of our universe; how it was created and evolved to the world today using only scientific theories and methods.
I am unsure on where to begin with in regards to this book.  This is not normally the type of book that I would choose to read, but I agreed to read it and give my honest opinion.  Briggs is very enthusiastic and excited about this subject and I could feel his passion for science bleed through the page.  His positive energy and passion for sharing this information is apparent in every word.  If I had been watching the Briggs give a lecture on this subject, I would have been more involved and able to soak in more because I imagine him being the type of lecturer who is so enthusiastic about his subject that I wouldn’t be able to space out, I would be wholly drawn in.  Being that I am not a ‘science person’ and have never sought out reading about science unless it is an educational requirement, I found myself spacing out while I was reading this book.  Especially when a math problem is placed before me.  As soon as I see a math problem my mind recoils, shuts down and goes to a 'special place' where the math in no longer able to harass it.  That being said I did have some issues making it through this book, but my dislike of science and math shouldn’t make people who enjoy science pass over this title.

Journey to Civilization: The Science of How We Got Here; covers a wide variety of scientific specialties from Astronomers, to Cosmologists, from Microbiologists to Physical Anthropologists and a few more I am sure I am missing.  Briggs gives a wonderful overview about how life was created, through scientific theory, from the creation of our galaxy, to the first beginnings of life up to where we are today.  This book isn't bogged down with overly complicated explanations.  Even if I spaced out, it is written for the non-expert or beginning scientist.  I think this book would be best enjoyed by students who want to get a general overview of these scientific specialties, as well as people who are interest in the scientific theories of how our world was created and evolved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment