Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Solsbury Hill By, Susan M. Wyler


Solsbury Hill is a novel about a woman, Eleanor, who is content with her life in New York.  She is dating a man, Miles, who she has known since she was a child and her clothing line is just taking off.  Her life is shook-up, when she receives a phone call from England letting her know that her Aunt is ill and wants to see her before she dies.  I wish I could write that I liked this book, but I would be lying.  I wasn't able to connect with any of the characters; they felt like outlines of people, not whole individuals.  That's not to say that the entire book was bad, parts of it were really good.  The pieces of the story just didn't gel together.  It is loosely based on Wuthering Heights, mainly on having to decide between two men, and trying to not make the choice that you will live to regret.  I guess there are gothic elements in the book, an old house on a moor, a dying relative that Eleanor never really knew, and ghosts, but it didn't have the drive that most gothic novels have.  I never felt a real turmoil in regards to Eleanor's choice between two men.  I really did, however, enjoy the budding relationship Eleanor has while Trent Hall.  The idea behind this novel is an interesting one, but it just wasn't the book for me.

This was originally published at:
http://www.firsttoread.com/Profile/Reviews.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment